Re: [T3] Checking fuel pressure by measuring volume

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 19:10, Brandon Harper wrote:
> I bought the car when it was not running at the time.
> The previous owner stated that the problem seemed to
> be gradual and became worse. He said that at first he
> would just have problems with it losing power while on
> the freeway. He would try to accelerate and it would
> just sputter for a minute then pick back up. After a
> while it was happening even in the city and eventually
> wouldn't even start on a regular basis.
>
>  I suspected the fuel filter at first and he claims to
> have already replaced it. I still plan on replacing
> the filter prior to testing the fuel pump though just
> to be sure. I have verified that I have spark to all
> of the new plugs I have installed and that the points
> are correctly gapped and the distributor cap is clean.
> At this point I am fairly confident that the issue is
> not spark. When I did replace the plugs and used a
> little bit of starter fluid I was able to start the
> car but I had to hold the pedal down to the floor the
> entire time or it would die. I only got one half way
> decent start though and after about 30 sec's it died.

Check the vent hose under right front fender. These are known to fail
and let water into the tank. The water then starts a rusting process and
this plugs the suction screen in the bottom of the gas tank, and small
gas resevior <sp> cup in the bottom of the tank. If the gas tank is
below about 1/4 tank, the car will starve for gas even going straight
down the road.
Someone else here on the list found this to be their problem, and had
the tank cleaned and fixed the problem.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 FB AT