Re: [T3] Staring Problems Please Help

On 22 Nov 2001, at 17:03, Robert Burgess wrote:

> I'm visiting my Mom for Thanksgiving (on her PC) and I need some help.
> Last week the car would not start we would just hear a click. Had the
> starter replaced with a rebuilt one, worked for a few times then now
> same thing, but not near where I live. I tried doing the old trick by
> jumping the terminals with a screw driver, but the starter just runs
> and does not engage. My wife tried to hold the key into the starting
> position, then jumping trick. Tried to jump it with a 12 volt jumper
> box (the car is 6 volt). No luck. Just clicks. There is a possibility
> I'm not doing the screwdriver trick right. Since it may not be a
> starter problem. Any suggestions of how to get this thing started
> (short of push start) and how do I fix it when I get home.

Check the battery terminal connections and the ground connection
at the other end of the battery - strap. Also get under the car and
check the ground strap that conntects the front end of the
transmission to the body.

On all of these it sometimes helps to loosen the connection then
wiggle it a bit to shake out any corrosion and then retighten it. I like
to actually put grease in there. The grease won't prevent electrical
contact but it will keep moisture out and retard corrosion.