Re: [T3] Converting a 65 Notch to 12v

On 22 Nov 2001, at 10:29, James Ramsay wrote:

> Hello to everybody - Im new to the list - Uk-based with a 72 Fastback
> and 66 bus.
>
> My other half doesn't know it yet but she really wants an early notch.
>
> I have found a very promising one but it is currently 6v and I would
> want to make it 12v for practicallity (I live in a cold, dark country)

The 6V stuff works just fine if it is kept in good working order. The
only real problem with it is that you can't put a modern radio in
there. 6V batteries are also getting slightly hard to find. Converting
to 12V is more work than most people realize, so I would start by
seeing if you can make yourself happy with the original stuff.

> I am most concerned about the 6v Flywheel - can I still mate up a 12v
> Starter?

No, but the 6V starter will crank really fast with 12V to it.

> What about other parts?
>
> 12v Dynamo - will it bolt up same

There were 2 different diameters, so you have to measure what you
have and see if they are the same. Changing diameters requires
partial engine disassembly; it's a lot of work, but it can be done in
the car.

> Wiper Motor (Can it fit a 12v motor and linkages/spindles)

Not that simple. There may be certain years of 12V motors that will
fit in, or you may be able to just replace the armature.

> Regulator (no problems?)

Easy swap

> Bulbs (Straight swap out?)

Easy swap, but don't forget that there are a lot of them.

> Fuel Pump (will this be mechanical so okey?)

Mechanical, no problem

> Coil, Points, Dizzy (no problems)

Just change the coil

> What have I missed?

clock, electric choke, electric pilot valve, turn signal relay (and
wiring.)

> The car is a 1500 S - single carb and is a 1965 model.

One of those oddball single carb 1500S models!