[T3] Fring order

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hi all,

I'm new to this list so excuse me for asking questions that you all know the answers to.

I recently got hold of a 1969 Type 3 AT fastback, but I'm having problems to get it started. I don't have a manual and have received differing answers on my questions?

1: What's the firing order? I have a Beetle as well, firing order 1432 with 1 rear right. I thought the T3 was the same, but my Auto Digest say 1342. All the high tension leads were removed when I got the car.

2: Which is no 1 ? When I use right rear as no 1, the timing marks is somewhere on the bottom when it fires. I presume the timing marks should be in the vertical position when no 1 fires? I know that the rotor should point at the slot in the dizzy body for no 1. I verified that right rear was on the compression stroke when the rotor points to that cylinder.

3: The carbs were dirty and I took them off and cleaned them. What should be a good setting for the idling to get it started? 2 turns out from completely in?

4: I got it running for 30 seconds one time, as soon as I touched the accelarator linkage it died, couldn't get it going again. Any one with suggestions to start from scratch?

Btw, I'm in South Africa, and I really want to salvage this car. It need a complete paint job, it has some rust on the floor pan, but I think it will be a great car once I get it running again.

Cheers,

Chris