Re: Polishing and Painting

On 9 Jun 99, at 13:33, m3051507@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au wrote:

> How would you go about painting the crank case (and the cylenders
> and heads) black????  What sort of paint and techniques would
> be required.  I know you can buy black tinware new, but how would
> you paint it????

I wouldn't bother with the case; it just doesn't run hot enough to
give you much advantage. If you were really interested in this you
might consider getting the heads black anodized, but the combustion
chambers should be polished.

I have a place that I can get the cooling tin sandblasted, then I
paint it with Polane gloss black catalyzed polyurethane enamel. This
is a VERY durable paint that seems to match the original black that
VW used everywhere from the wheels and sheet tin to the shift lever
and pan.

Jim