[T3] The trials of owning another T-3

Kinda long.......

Well, I went and did it. I bought another T-3.  bought it off another listee
who's wife said he had too many cars. :+} Didn't know there was too many. I
only counted 8 in his driveway. :+}
It is a 1966 Fastback that has been sitting fo about 3 years. The carbs are
in a box in the trunk, so I could here it run.
Body is in fair shape for a salt belt car. (better than my '71) It needs one
rocker panel, and that was thrown in as part of the deal. Also the passengers
floor board has been replaced, and it was a bad job. Needs to be redone. Not
this persons doing.
I also got boxes of parts with it, like new door seals, and fender welting.
Also got a couple FI control units. Don't know if they are any good, but they
are "D" boxes, so I can test them on my '71. If they are good, I will
probably be willing to part with 1 of them.
I did have some excitement on the way home. I got about 1/2 mile from his
house, and lost a rear wheel. (dummy Russ, check the lug bolts before towing
a car....) No major damage done, just damaged threads on one hole, and a
black scuff on the rear quarter. I was towing it on a car dolly, so I stole 2
lug bolts off each of the front wheels and got it home. BTW, I found that the
spare tire and wheel have NEVER been on the ground. But the jack was so
rusted that it was un-usable. Cell phone to the rescue, called him, and he
brought down his floor jack to get the wheel back on.
I got about 50 miles from home, and went through a construction area, and I
thought I could hear a noise. Was just about to pull over when another car
pulled up and started pointing at the VW. Stopped, and found that the muffler
from the tuned exhaust had fallen off and was dragging on the ground. Tied it
back up with some zip ties, and proceeded on my way.
Made it the rest of the way home without incident.
BTW, I may want to do some trading with the tuned exhaust system, for a stock
muffler. This one is brand new, still has the parts stickers on it. It does
have some "road rash" on the muffler.
--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT