Re: [T3] undercoating

----- Original Message -----
From: "Heather Ann Riggs" <type3addict@yahoo.com>
To: "type 3 list" <type3@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 10:54 AM
Subject: [T3] undercoating

> hello all,
>    I have just finished peeling off all of my
> undercoat.> Heather
> '71 Fastback AT FI
> Portland, OR

Hi Heather,
    Try this for undercoat:     Clean area very well and use Rust Mort (any
auto body supply shop) to stop any rust.  Any holes?  Use Bondo type
material that contains the  heavy fiberglass strands,  I use 3M  Long Strand
Fiberglass Reinforced Filler,  Part 05813.  An acid brush (cheap, little
metal brush used with soldering,  Hardware or auto body shop)  with a little
alcohol  (like from the drug store) helps smooth out your work.  Next:
paint on Rust Oleum rusty metal primer (redish brown)  A spray can helps get
to all the hard to reach nooks and crannies.  Let dry a couple of days.
Finally:  here's the good part.  Lowes Hardware,  buy a can of Swamp Cooler
coating (it's flat black) and brush it on.  Looks great,  lasts a long time.
    Good luck with with your little car and I hope this helps keep it
running a long time.
Claude,  Utah