Re: [T3] Unexpected oil change problem

On Saturday 08 September 2001 13:57, Daniel Baum wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> The problem was that the cover plate was stuck tight, as if it was welded
> on. I tried pulling it with pliers and prising it with a screwdriver, but
> didn't want to exert too much pressure in case I damaged it. It showed
> absolutely no sign of wanting to move a millimetre. In the end I cleaned up
> what I could, put all the screws back on and put the new oil in, but I
> couldn't change the gaskets or the strainer.
>
> Any idea what the problem could be?
> (I've got a nasty feeling the answer will be "remove the engine and
> dismantle it into its constituent molecules . . .)

It sounds like someone put the plate back on using gasket cement. :=( I have
run into this many times in servicing VW's. About the only thing you can do
is to pry the old one off, and be prepared to replace it. Maybe drive a small
cold chisel between it and the strainer.
People that glue them on should be shot.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT

russw@classicvw.org