[T3] Unexpected oil change problem

Hi all,

I ran into a very unexpected problem while changing the oil in my old wreck
earlier this evening. It's a '69 Type 34, and this is supposed to be a
prelude to attempting to start the engine in a couple of days time. if it
works you'll all know about it in very big letters. This was the first time
I had ever done this, but it didn't sound like the task presented any
special problems. I had equipped myself with all of the proper gaskets,
washers etc.

Anyway, I had drained the oil with no problem  (I had to use my big flex
handle to undo the plug; should it have been that tight?) and removed the
nuts to remove the cover plate.

The problem was that the cover plate was stuck tight, as if it was welded
on. I tried pulling it with pliers and prising it with a screwdriver, but
didn't want to exert too much pressure in case I damaged it. It showed
absolutely no sign of wanting to move a millimetre. In the end I cleaned up
what I could, put all the screws back on and put the new oil in, but I
couldn't change the gaskets or the strainer.

Any idea what the problem could be?
(I've got a nasty feeling the answer will be "remove the engine and
dismantle it into its constituent molecules . . .)

Regards,

Daniel Baum
'69 T34: Everything missing, nothing works.