Re: [T3] Auto transmission

On 1 Aug 2001, at 22:10, Peter Legault wrote:

> Our Type3 is running fine. I would Like to do some preventive maintenance on
> the auto transmission.
> It runs fine and shifts fine. The only problem I find is it those kinda
> somewhat clunk when shifting.
> It feels like backlash perhaps it is the CV joints I'm not sure.
> How do I go about checking the CV joints for wear?
> Also (back to the subject)what should I do to keep the auto transmission
> running fine. I assume draining and changing fluid would be helpful. Is
> there a filter I can change or any other PM I can undertake to preserve this
> gem?

You should have a Bentley manual; it calls out all the normal
maintenance that these things require. Changing the ATF is called
out every 30,000 mi as well as cleaning the metal mesh strainer in
there.

When (under what conditions) do you hear a clunk?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054