[T3] Auto transmission

Our Type3 is running fine. I would Like to do some preventive maintenance on
the auto transmission.
It runs fine and shifts fine. The only problem I find is it those kinda
somewhat clunk when shifting.
It feels like backlash perhaps it is the CV joints I'm not sure.
How do I go about checking the CV joints for wear?
Also (back to the subject)what should I do to keep the auto transmission
running fine. I assume draining and changing fluid would be helpful. Is
there a filter I can change or any other PM I can undertake to preserve this
gem?
Thanks
Peter Legault
1973 VW Type3 1600 FI/Auto