RE: [T3] Auto transmission

On 2 Aug 2001, at 23:14, Peter Legault wrote:

> I hear the clunk mainly when the tranny shifts. Its not as bad when
> accelerating slowly but more intense with  heavier acceleration. Kinda
> sounds like what sloppy universals on an American car sounds like.

Try jacking up the car and twisting the rear wheels to see if there is
torsional play in the drive line. If there is, get underneath and try to
find out where it is. Make sure the CV joint bolts are tight (they are
NOT Allen bolts!) If you have one or more CV joints with a lot of
play, then you might want to replace them, or I might have a
complete half shaft with 2 good used joints on it. Beware of the fact
that the 2 MT half shafts are the same length, but the AT half
shafts are 2 completely different lengths.

If the play is inside the differential, you might want to drain and refill
it with GL-5. Look at what comes out as a measure of the condition
of what's in there.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org