[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: [T3] swing axle boots

There's a '67 square standing in my driveway. It's here for brake 
work, but as soon as I got it up on jackstands, it started to drool 
gear oil on the pavement. I looked at the boots, and they were split 
replacement boots, positioned with the split facing slightly up and 
to the rear.

As I looked at the installation, I could see that both sides were 
leaking where the split cuff was supposed to seal around the swing 
axle tube. At the point where the split is, there is about a 3/16" 
gap in the rubber.

It's clear from looking at this that there may be 2 possible reasons 
for the fact that it's leaking. The main reason I can see is simply 
poor installation: The "buckle" on the hose clamp should have been 
placed next to the split, in such a way that tightening the buckle 
drew the 2 sides of the split together. These hose clamps are 
installed with the buckle opposite the split. This would require the 
boot to slide under the band in order for the split to be drawn 

It's been years since I've had to deal with one of these, so I had 
forgotten about the importance of the clamp placement. I'll see if I 
can reposition these over the next week, and stop the leak. 
Otherwise, I've got good German split boots coming from John at 
Aircooled.net and I might just have to replace these. Even John 
admits that this is not a fun job.

As far as the brakes go, it appears that the rubber flex hoses were 
the culprit. I've got those on order from John, too.

Jim Adney, jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list | mailto:gregm@vwtype3.org

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]