[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: [T3] Compression Woes

<x-flowed>I started the teardown today. I expected to pull the engine to
inspect the right head for a valve problem as Russ suggested
and to check for loose studs as Jim offered.

After I drained out the oil that had been in for two days and
about two miles, I drained it and started.

Part way through I recalled that you can take off the sheet
metal on the right side fairly easily with the engine still in
the car, so I changed direction and exposed the top sheet
metal to check the studs to find that at least three were loose.

I proceeded to get my nice torque wrench and found that I
had to fit it first! The spring that engaged the pawl cam loose
and wouldn't engage and the business end just spun around.
I hate having to fix tools.

In the end I tightened the studs back to spec and then thought
that since I wasn't going to run the engine, I could do a compression
check with the sheet metal missing, so I proceeded to put the
engine back together less the sheet metal hoping that the head
tightening solved the problem. It was not to be, the compression
stayed at 50, bummer.

Looks like I'm in the market for a pair of heads.
Photo of the head is at:

Jeff  '67 Sqbk

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.9/382 - Release Date: 7/4/06

List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list | mailto:gregm@vwtype3.org

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]