Re: [T3] Adjusting front stabilizer bar

Maybe soon I'll take the
> whole thing apart for inspection. I didn't want to disturb the ball joints
> as they're OK and I didn't want to mess with the steering setup, but it
> looks easy enough and if I undo the big nuts on them, everything should be
> the same when I put it back.

A few things can go wrong if you undo the big nuts on the ball joints - the
thread may get chewed up, particularly if there is some corrosion, the wavy
washer may split in two, and I have known the oval hole in the torsion arm to
get rounded out if it has been weakened, which is really bad news.  I have only
taken apart about 4, and have had all these things happen in that small number,
so take care, and don't do it just to find out if you can!

If you undo the split clamp, you must prevent the spring tension damaging the
bolt thread on the clamp shoulders.  These bolts are very hard, and have an
extra length of shank compared with a normal bolt that size (ie they are a 311
part, and not easy to replace).

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/