Re: [T3] petrol tank sealing

On 28 Nov 2001, at 13:17, neil verdon wrote:

> I changed the little filter sock in the base of my tank this weekend and its
> a wonder I was getting any fuel at all for a brass filter sock it was a
> horrible rusty brown I need to stop this and the por 15 seems like the way
> to go.

I really recommend that you do nothing, other than clean out the tank. If you
keep water out of the tank, and keep the tank full of gas when the car is
stored long term, then there will be very little active rusting. Rust occurs
when the tanks are left open or empty for long periods of time. For late cars
with the overflow hose, there is a big problem with water getting sprayed in
while driving in the rain, but other than that you really don't need to do
anything.

Of course if yours is rusted so badly that it is perforated, then that is a
completely different story.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org