Re: [T3] Odd Whirring Noise

On 2 Nov 2001, at 16:54, JaransonT3@aol.com wrote:

> I have started hearing an odd whirring noise coming from my 66 Squares
> engine.  It sounds like a transmission turning through frozen gear oil
> on a -20F day.  Yeah, I know the SoCal folks will have no idea what I
> am talking about. 8^)  Anyway, it is dependent on engine RPM, but not
> vehicle speed. It does not change with engaging or releasing the
> clutch.  I have not been able to isolate it yet.

You need a stethoscope. Make one using a long screwdriver with
the BLUNT end stuck in your ear and the other end on various
parts of the engine. Try the generator first; 2 things there will make
them whine, a bad bearing or simple dirt on the pole pieces which
is rubbing against the rotor as it whizzes by.

> However, in the process I discovered something that I am not sure
> about.  Both my RED and GREEN lights come on when the key is turned
> on.  They both go out once the car is started.  This sounds correct to
> me.  But I removed the wire leading to the oil pressure sensor with
> the engine running and the green light does not come on!  I am
> guessing the sensor is bad, but why does the light go out once the car
> is started?  Are the sensors 6V/12V specific or can I try the one from
> my 71 Fasty?  What else should I be looking for?  There is plenty of
> oil on the car.  What are possible sources for the whirring sound?

This is exactly right and normal. On a 66, the green light is the oil
light and the sensor is just a normally closed pressure switch. Oil
pressure keeps it open. The light will come on if you touch that
wire to ground with the key ON.