Re: [T3] Play with the Wheel....

RobertB=> you think it's possible that I may need a
=> new steering box, or is this guy trying to get an
=> extra buck...

Sure, it's possible, but there's no way for him to know that until it's been
adjusted using the proper procedure. Bear in mind that few mechanics know
and understand this procedure, where they all understand replacing worn
components. My advice would be to take it back home, learn the procedure,
refill the box with grease if necessary, adjust it carefully yourself (it's
not difficult), and determine whether the steering box is good before you
start throwing money at it. As Jim says, save that original if you can. And
try not to drive it too much in the meantime, that's really too much play
for safety.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 Grosse Karmann