RE: [T3] Oil light on. Last send was a mistake.

Oil gauges:  You want electric, not mechanical.  The mechanical ones are the
type that have a long, hollow tube that connects to the sender and the
gauge.  Very, very impractical in our cars, and I speak from personal
experience.  Installation diagrams are at
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog/237.htm.

--------------
For additional info go to CB Performance web site and click on the
"Technical Center" link at the bottom of the page.
--------------

About the engine rebuild:  The person may very well be a competent
mechanic...for the TypeI.  The TypeIII does have some differences but,
overall, a good TypeI builder can build a good TypeIII.  It is very possible
that one or more parts, through no fault or suspect of the engine builder,
were bad.  I once had a new head drop a valve seat after only a few months
of use -- it happens, though not often if quality parts are used (and these
quality parts cost more than the cheap ones most people like to try to get
away with).  You may want to establish your builder's knowledge of the T3,
like, does he know to use the proper cooling tin *under* the heads and not
use the T1 style tin?  My last two builders didn't do this but my current
one does know it makes a cooling difference and is putting the proper
cooling tin back on.

What about sending your engine out to be rebuilt?  Granted, shipping can
sometimes be a hassle but there are some good builders out there if you're
willing.  Think about it.

Reading the books and understanding how everything interrelates is a very
smart move on your part!  Engines are purposefully built and everything
tends to affect other parts should you deviate from stock (I know this,
belieeeeeve me!) -- rarely are parts added to an engine that aren't
necessary.

   Toby Erkson
   air_coolÁi4obox.com  <-- Please use this address for email
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/