RE: [T3] Quiet Mufflers

First, let's be aware of terminology.  An "extractor exhaust" means the
tubing that routes the exhaust gasses to the muffler.  The distance the
exhaust gas pulses have to travel is all the same length (heat exchanger
distance is included).  The ends of the tubing all meet at one spot and
that's where the muffler attaches.

An extractor helps to draw in more of the air/fuel mixture.  I fail to see
how it can induce a lean mixö\o”he vacuum extracts the exhaust more
efficiently and thus pulls in a greater intake charge.

Nonetheless, none of the current after-market muffler systems I'm aware of
will reduce the life of an engine.  I have never, ever, heard of an
extractor exhaust.  Freer-flowing (has less back-pressure), yes.  The wrong
muffler can restrict the exhaust flow, creating more back-pressure.  Having
several years experience with dual and single quiet packs on a stock and
modified engine I know they won't cause burned valves.  My personal
preference is the dual system.  Produces less noise and still allows equal
or better exhaust flow.

   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/