RE: [T3] Polishing?

Sorry, I really hate doing this, but I just couldn't let it pass.
My apologies. Read on....

On 8 Jun 99, at 22:45, Squareback wrote:

> Ok, quick lesson in Heat Transfer.  There are 3 forms of heat transfer.
> Conduction, Convection, and Radiation.

This is the conventional wisdom, but, of these, only radiation
applies directly to the case where heat is transferred from one
material to another. There are obviously others ways for our engines,
or any other hot body, to get rid of heat, but they are neither
conduction nor convection, although those play an obvious part.

> Conduction and Convection are the main forms of heat transfer in the VW
> motor.  Conduction is straight forward.  It is dependent on surface area,
> thickness, and the conduction coefficient, which is different for all
> materials.  Convection has more factors.  Convection is dependent on the
> fluid temperature, fluid velocity, surface area, surface temperature, and
> the convection coefficient for the fluid.  Fins and rough surfaces are one
> way to increase surface area, which will increase the heat transfer due to
> convection.

This is heat transfer across a boundary. It really is neither
conduction nor convection, and, yes, it is very complicated. It is
affected by everything!

> Color does play a large role in radiation heat transfer.  A black
> case/engine opGs a black body radiator.  A black body radiator is a
> perfect emitter.  This means that it does not store any of the energy that
> it receives in the form of radiation from the surrounding, i.e., hot engine
> sheet metal, exhaust, etc., and it also radiates the maximum amount of
> energy that is generated from inside the engine.  A white case/engine will
> radiate all the energy that it receives from the surroundings, but will not
> radiate any from within the engine.  This explains why a black asphalt road
> is very hot and the white stripe dividing the road is much cooler.

This is where I really have to disagree. A "black body" is a
theoretical perfect radiator, and a perfect radiator is also a
perfect absorber. It's radiation depends only on its temperature and
it has no way of knowing if it is hot because it received energy from
within or without.

Nothing comes very close to a perfect "black body," certainly not a
VW case in any condition or color.

The real "secret" is that the coeffecient of absorption and the
coefficient of emissivity are the same, so if you want to make
something that radiates well when it's hot, all you have to do is
make something that absorbs well when it's cool. Painting it black is
one very easy way to do this. Even this, however, is not a simple
thing because adding the paint layer adds just a bit of thermal
insulation, so it is not clear that this will give you an advantage.

This is a VERY complicated problem. It would all depend on how
important radiative cooling is relative to "conductive" transfer to
the air (because black paint helps radiation, but hurts heat flow out
of the case). It would also depend on engine temp and air temp.

In general radiative losses go up with the T^4 where T is in Kelvin.

Jim

Search old messages on the Web!  Visit http://www.vwtype3.orgFrom ???@??? Thu Jun 10 07:23:53 1999