Re: [T3] More questions on brakes

On 8 Jun 99, at 1:22, oofacts@earthlink.net wrote:

> Hey, with those front disc brakes, how grooved is grooved. Mine are on
> the bumpy side. Whats the best thing to do with these, get em
> re-machined or just get new ones? Bear in mind folk, here in NYC there
> aint nobody knows nothing about VW T3s, although theres a handful of
> beetle guys.

The grooves only have an effect right XÞQ8u replace the pads. You
need to make sure to brake gently for a few days until the pads are
contoured to fit the grooves. Once everything fits the braking is as
good as a new disk. This does reduce the lifetime of the pad,
however, since you wear through some extra pad in this breakin
period.

In reality you need only worry about the rotor's thickness at its
THICKEST point. This is because the thickness requirement is not a
matter of rotor strength, but rather a matter of how far out of the
caliper the pistons can come. If the rotor is too thin, by the time
the pad is rubbing on the rotor the piston is far enough out of the
caliper to cock a bit sideways and crack the caliper next to the
bore. There's a weak spot there. Keeping the rotor thick maintains a
sufficient safety margin for that.

OTOH, I have seen calipers where the rotor was allowed to wear
through near the hub. This leaves a rather pointless steel "washer"
gripped in the caliper--no longer attached to the hub.

Jim