Re: SV: [T3] type 4 trans

At 10:50 +0100 01/25/1999, Sandin, Karl-Olov wrote:

>Does, for example, a 1.8 FI (bus) engine fit under the deck lid with its std.
>cooling system and FI?

Yes, the 1979-1982 (Bus/Transporter) Fuel Injected 2.0 Typ 4 engine will
fit without having to hack your engine cover.  That is a Europe only engine
as far as I can tell - I have been researching this same project.

The intake manifolds of a fuel injected 1.8 Typ 4 Variant look to be the
same as the 2.0 FI Bus/Transporter's, i.e., there is enough room.  I just
checked this out today from a wrecked Typ 4 Variant.

The only difference that I can find is where the air enters the fan mounted
at the end of the crankshaft pulley; Typ 4 Variants use the same style of
air intake (through the rear fenders and onto the engine via a large rubber
intake boot) as a Typ 3 has.  Late model Transporters have an entirely
different system of getting the air in (through air vents in the rear
pillars and down into the engine compartment) although the front sheet
metal around the engine is the same.

Installing a 2.0 Typ 4 Transporter engine would require some front sheet
metal modifications or then using the same parts off of Typ 4 Variant.  I
would not suggest using fuel injected 1.8 Typ 4 Variant engine eventhough
it would be a direct swap.

Another small problem for anyone with an originally non-fuel injected Typ 3
is that you have to make and install a return (hard) fuel line to the gas
tank.  This should wisely go through the tunnel to keep it out of harm's
way.

†[›rger problems include constant oil leaks (a 'free' factory option
not listed in any M-code list produced by VAG), regular valve seat
failures, the expense of rebuilding a Typ 4 engine compared to a Typ 3 and
then the hassle of trying to install a Typ 4 muffler under the rear apron
of a Typ 3.  It can be done however.

>Do I have to use aftermarket or specially built cooling system, exhaust
>system and heat exchangers?

None of the above - if you keep the engine stock.  For those of us in the
frozen swampy wastes of Fenno-Scandia (myself and Karl-Olov amongst
others), there would be some heating benefits with the use of the Typ 4
engines' bigger heat exchangers.  Assuming that everything else was
functional with the heating system.  The cost of new heat exchangers is a
bit frightening though.  A new pair here in Finland costs a mere $700.

>The advantages with this conversion should be (as I see it now, without
>having tried this yet):

>1. More power and torque versus the stock 1600 engine.

Absolutely; the bottom end torque of a fuel injected 2.0 Typ 4 is pretty
impressive.

>2. Better reliability: Oil filter, and a more robust construction.

That is arguable.  Oil filtration is, IMHO, overrated (sorry Toby).  Maybe
on a bigger engine than what the Typ 3s were offered with it adds to
longevity.  Further, if you have no qualms with removing Typ 4 heads from
time to time, having new valve seats machined in and then re-installing the
whole lot, you could consider it 'better'.

>3. Better charge system: alternator!

OK.

>4. A lot cheaper per hp, than a hi-performance built 1600 engine.

Not true.  You could easily build a higher performance Typ 3 engine for
less money which is more reliable than a bone stock, rebuilt Typ 4 mill.
Compare some prices, like the difference between Typ 1 and Typ 4 main
bearings, cams, heads, etc.  And in the first place, one would have to find
a usable Typ 4 engine.  Then fix the induction (carbs or FI), then
fabricate this and that.  Yes, it can be done, and made to work but thlÌD will be approximately double when comparing stock 1600cc rebuild vs
2000cc.

>Drawbacks (I guess):

>1. A little more weight.

About 10kg more.  Probably not even noticable.  Have your kids ever ridden
in the back of your Square?  There is 30kg per child (Finnish children are
large because they eat so much reindeer meat as youths - of which I have
none -- children or reindeer).

>2. Possibly a lot of work with the flywheel/clutch, cooling/exhaust system
>and rear engine mount.

The bellhousing may require some clearancing depending on the size of the
flywheel (I think it is 215mm in most cases).  Clutch could be kept stock,
Typ 4.  Cooling is no problem.  Exhaust could be a problem - muffler only.
Rear mounts can be fabricated or changed if you have a 1970 --> Typ 3.

I really like the idea of this kind of engine retro-fit - that may not be
so obvious - but there are a lot of IFs involved in doing it so that you
could have as much reliable fun as with what Volkswagen gave us in the
first place.  They had Typ 4 engines already in 1966 and never gave it to
the Typ 3 - anyone seen the last month's VolksWorld, that early Typ 4
prototype was wierd!

Anyway, someone please argue with me and tell me that I am wrong!

Happy motoring.

Patrick

Patrick Joel Morton
Rauhankatu 28 as 27
FIN -- 20100  TURKU
Finland

Home of the V-Wauhtipiste Volkswagens!
        - "Kraft durch Freude" -
1963 Beetle (Helmut) - Deluxe Limousine
1967 Variant (Urs) - Squareback
1970 Beetle (Otto) - Sunroof Limousine

"We have everything but misery, because that
can't be bought with money."
   - Kai Lehto, October 1998