[T3] front axle arm bearings

Probably the only mechanical parts I haven't replaced on my Type 3 front
axle are the bearings (part numbers 311 401 305 and 311 401 301)  or parts
numbered 8 and 9 in this diagram:

http://www.type34.org/temp/frontend.jpg

My questions:

1) Has anyone ever replaced these without the specialized tools found in
the T3 Workshop manual?  If so, how?

2)  I would also like to get the front axle powder coated. If I do remove
the bearing parts, and I strip down the axel, is there anything else I have
to worry about before I have the guys stick it into an oven to melt the
powder coating?  Are there some plastic pieces inside the front end that
can melt?

Paul