RE: [T3] back fire

You're a**hole mechanic keeps his job by *not* working on T3's.

Back-firing through the carb is *not* an effect of carburetion that I know
of.  It's either a timing problem, or burned valves (allowing the combustion
to blow by the valve, and up through the carb).  32mm sounds pretty standard
for early VW's that I've read about, and starving for fuel will only make
the engine cut out, not back-fire.