Re: [T3] ball joints, tie rod ends

On 28 Nov 98, at 19:33, Charlie wrote:

> Quick question... it's time to replace all the tie rod ends and the ball
> joints, steering dampner as well.

Don't replace anything unless it is shot.  There are very specific
checking instuctions for the ball joints in the Bentley manual.  In
general I find that they don't wear out, and up to 71 there is a hole
to re-grease them.

> My ball joints are original and they don't have much grease, my tie rods
> ends are a little sloppy, and my steering dapner has never been
> replaced.... all 27 year old O-riginal equipment.

The OE stuff was very high quality.  You probably cannot buy anything
as good as this anymore.  There is a good chance that you need a new
steering damper, but you will probably need a new steering arm
bushing, too.

Jim