[T3] Heat - Couple of questions

I got a wonderful thing done today, aside from an oil change, valve
adjustment, and carb balance I managed to put functioning heater boxes back
on my car, she wasn't my true daily driver till early this year and I
decided it would be nice not to shiver all winter.

I reattached the heater boxes, and the "U" pipes coming off the fan shroud
and main pipe from the front of the box to the car but what is the purpose
of the smaller pipes running above the valve covers off of the "U" pipes?  I
saw (at least in the pass. side, didn't notice in driver's) a thermostat
inside the main port seeming to go to where these pipes enter the car.  What
do they do?

Obviously I don't have them hooked up at the moment as I need to get
replacement hoses for the flexible lines between the pipes and the body,
just happy to have warm puffs of air coming out of my vents again :)

Travis
'66 Fastback
www.keedyweb.net/fastback