Re: [T3] Heater channel questions and fiberglass fenders

On 24 Jun 2002, at 10:22, jason.smith@sarcom.com wrote:

>  Hello everyone!  My heater 'grates' on the drivers side are rusted
> out and there are bits of rust layers inside the channel.  My rockers are
> very solid though, as is the rest of the channel, it is just right in the
> area of the outlet.  The question is what does this mean in the long run?

Visible rust thru the heat outlets is a sign that there are worse things
happening further inside. If you don't do anything it will just get worse, and if
you wait until the outside rockers rust thru most of the inside will be toast by
then. Definitely do something now. If you can blow oil in there that is
certainly a big help, but you have to try to get it into all the spaces and then
look for the water leaks (it is guaranteed that you have them) at the rear of
the front wheelwells and the front of the rear wheelwells.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054