Re: [T3] Deathrich (kind of long, but I can't hold back any more)

On 20 Nov 98, at 18:18, Jake Kooser wrote:

> Just another note on this one.  John replied to my rant and added one
> symptom that might shed some more light for all us troubleshooters:
>
> >I'm going to be testing the Manifold Pressure Sensor
> >To be truthful, the car didn't really run any differently with it on or off
> (when
> >I did my clutch two weeks ago, it had been left hanging, I plugged it back
> >in, no change).
>
> I don't recall too clearly what my squareback did when the diaphragm failed
> in the MPS, but for some reason this seems to me like it's been discussed
> before.  Can anyone else get some ideas out of this?

You should hear a difference when you connect the vacuum line to the
MPS.  Make sure that BOTH ends of the hose are connected, and that
the hose isn't plugged.  Make sure that you can suck on the MPS
(ugh!) without getting airflow through it; it should be sealed.  If
it passes air you MAY be able to disassemble it and find some leaking
seal and fix it.  Very small leaks are of little consequence, since
the conductance of the hose is pretty large.  Otherwise there may be
places that rebuild them, or new or used ones are available.

A  car with the vacuum line disconnected will run like a bat out of
hell with WOT, but buck, miss, and stumble while cruising or at idle.

Always be careful with the wiring harness any time you're working on
the FI.  It's the only one you've got, and by now they are fragile.

Jim