Re: [T3] Fuel in oil

On 20 Nov 98, at 15:44, Steve Glavas wrote:

> How can you tell if fuel is getting into your oil?  And what possible
> ways are there for it to get in?  What are the symptoms?

Fuel get in the oil when too much goes into the cylinders and the
excess stays on the cylinder walls and gets swept into the sump.

This can happen if your fuel system is just too rich, or if your
choke doesn't work right, or if your thermostat is not working so the
engine never warms up enough to drive off the small amount of gas
that accumulates normally in the sump, or, for the same realson, if
you only drive short trips.

Some mechanics claim they can tell by dropping a drop of your engine
oil on a fingertip and watching to see how it wicks into their little
fingerprint ridges: more gas, more wicking.  I'm not sure I can do
this.

Symptoms are poor gas mileage, rising oil level, and an oil level
that drops at first on a long trip, when the engine finally warms up
enough to drive off the gas, and then doesn't require additional oil
for the rest of the trip.

Jim