Re: welding fresh air vents shut and ect.

>From: cayson@juno.com (Cayson J Ellsworth)

>Just to add to this thread, a small question.  How on EARTH do you get to
>the screens in the vents???  Mine are holy and letting all kinds of
>debris, don't think this can be good.  I'm pretty sure of the answer but
>here goes anyway: Does anyone make replacements for these screens?  I
>hope.

Are these the molded plastic screens that are part of the upper half or the
vent body or a separate part that fits just below the louvers in the car
body and just above the vent body?

I'm not sure, but I think early cars (pre 68) MIGHT have had a separate
piece of window screen type material captured between the car body and the
vent body.  If yours is 68- then it is not OE and has been added by someone.

At any rate I suppose you could replace it with nylon window screen cut to
size. That would require removing the radio, windshield wipers and, finally,
the vent bodies.  It's an all afternoon job if you've never done it before.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin