welding fresh air vents shut and ect.

>From: josh curtis <joshcurt@ptd.net>

>has any one welded there fresh air vents shut. mine keep leeking no
>matter what i do and i have read that its a good idea to weld them
>shut,  and anyone know if it is possable to convert a 69 fastback
>external fill gas tank to al 68 internal fill i dont like the filler
>door on the outside ps i already know where to get the fenders for an
>enternal fill 69

You should be able to get your vents not to leak at much less trouble and
expense than welding them up.  Not to mention that you then still have the
vents.  There are two things you need to do:  First clean out the drain
tubes and make sure the drain holes in the vent units are clear.  Check this
with a garden hose when you think you are done.  If that doesn't do it you
may have a missing or damaged rubber gasket between the plastic vent body
and the inside of the car body.  Of course I suppose you might have a
cracked vent body also.  Just take everything out and inspect it carefully.

The usual problem is leaves blocking the drain hoses or water exit holes in
the bottom of the vent bodies.  I realize this can be exasperating, but it
is easy to fix ouce you understand the problem.

External fill gas tanks started in 68, although the inside release lever
didn't appear until 69.  I suspect a 67 gas tank would fit a later car, but
it wouldn't have the fuel return pipe that is needed for FI.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin