cam troubles

>From: Carlson Bryan J <bjc159s@nic.smsu.edu>

>I appreciate the responses that I have recieved thus far.  It has been
>suggested that I plastigage the cam and bearings.  What gap should I look
>for?  Are new bearings essential for every rebuild?  I did put the old
>cam with the old bearingsin the case, and the thing spun.  Also, how freely
>should new stuff spin?  I'm trying to do whatever it takes to get this old
>case to work before abandoning it.

There is no significant size difference between new and used bearings.  If
your new bearings are too snug then there is some problem with the new
bearings.  How free they should spin is pretty subjective.  With oil on the
journals I would describe the correct feeling as silky smooth.

Possibilities:

1)  You got bearings that are oversize on the od that are meant for an
oversize (align-bored) cam tunnel.

2)  You got a cam bearing set that has two thrust bearing halves.  Usually
both of these have locating tangs that fit in notches in the case.
Originally, however, VW supplied these engines with only one such bearing
and only one side of the case has the necessary notch.  The fix is to either
file off one of the notches (Gene Berg's recommendation) or carefully grind
a second notch in the other case half using a Moto-tool (what I do.)

3)  You got a bearing that was somehow defective.  Most unusual.

4)  You misassembled something.  Quite possible.  Try it again.

5)  ????

Keep us informed.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org