[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: [T3] End float ?

In a message dated 5/22/06 9:44:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
jadney@vwtype3.org writes:

<< What's a torrington bearing? I know that Torrington is a bearing 
 manufacturer and that they also (used to?) make bicycle spokes, but I 
 never heard of a type of bearing generically called a torrington 
 bearing. Fill me in. >>

This is how the 3 shims were expained to me. When you use 2 flat surfaces 
(like our shims) one surface is achored while the other moves. Wear becomes an 
issue. But if you use 3 surfaces (shims) then you can move 2 surfaces together 
while the 3rd stays put (or rides with them), and wear is diminshed. Torrington 
created this style of bearing long ago, that has essentually 3 moving parts, 
granted their middle piece has ribs (for lack of a better word). If you think 
about it in a VW engine, you've got 2 stationary sides (the #1 bearing, and 
the flywheel), and a moving side (the 3rd shim). The bearing gets a little wear 
(it's soft), but the flywheel really doesn't. The 3rd shim acts as a bearing 
(it does get oil) between the other 2 shims. I don't know if this helped or 
not, but GM, Ford and all the other auto manufacturers use this type of set up in 
their AT torque converters.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof and IRS (Krusty)
       71 Square, now a 2 seat Roadster, pics can be seen at; 
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2977 and now has a dead T-3  with D-jet FI 
engine. : (

List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list | mailto:gregm@vwtype3.org

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]