Re: [T3] steering/brake squeak

<x-flowed>It's quite likely that a wheel bearing is worn or loose and allowing the hub/brake disc to rock and rub on the pads. The pads are indeed self centring and not adjustable and normally would have a minute gap between themselves and the spinning rotor, which of course goes to nothing if the wheel bearing allows some rocking, so the pad squeaks on the disc. It's likely to happen more when side forces are on the wheel as when cornering and it may push the pad back in the cylinder a little when cornering harder so it then doesn't rub/squeak until it's eased itself out of the cylinder again. Check/adjust the free-play in the bearings before you do anything else.
Chris

Will McCreight wrote:

I have noted a new (or perhaps old but ignored) squeak which occurs as I steer Betty around a right handed curve. It is from the front end, and occurs at about 3-5 degrees of turn, then is gone beyond about 10-12 degrees, only to recur as I straighten back out, again reappearing, then disappearing.
It is greatest at cold startup, and fades away just about completely after about 15-20 miles. My brakes do squeal, with a rotational variation, almost always, despite the brakes having been bled completely (by me) and some brake pad replacement (professionally) less than 5000 miles ago--not sure which wheels were done, but receipt for work lists "brake pads" as a replaced parts item (can't tell from receipt how many pads they are talking about).

I am of the opinion that this is brake related, and as long as it is nothing dangerous, will likely just live with it...but would appreciate thoughts.
I have dealt with CV boot/joint replacement before on my 1987 Dodge Colt (twice) and am familiar with the "knuckle crunching" sound of that problem, and this is definitely not like that. The CV sound was at the extremes of steering, much more of a crunching sound than a higher pitched squealing.

If it is brakes, what is the easiest way to determine (without a second set of ears/arms, that is, solo) which side is the problem. I think that Bentley says that the disk brake pads are "self centering" and maybe not really adjustable. How complex, time intensive, special tools is a brake pad replacement? I know that if the rotor is the problem, it is professional work to have the rotor redone. The car's brakes stop the vehicle very well, and there is no spongyness or extra travel in the pedal.

Thanx in advance