Re: [T3] 1971 Fastback with fuel injection, no start!

On 13 May 2006 at 22:54, a.sterrett@att.net wrote:

> I appreciate the information you all gave me concerning getting this
> fastback to run!  I ran the test in the engine compartment and the
> fuel pump did run when I grounded the 2 wires spliced together.  I
> still am not getting any results from the pump relay under the dash.

Okay, so you've proven that the pump, pump wiring, pump relay, and
the wiring forward to the pump relay are all okay. Take solace from
the fact that this just proved that a LOT of parts are good and
working.

It's probably important to understand that this is just an electrical
test: You know that the pump motor turns, but you don't know if it
actually pumps gas.

> Bob and Jim both indicated that this may mean a problem with the ECU
> or the wiring harness?  Where should I proceed from here?

First you need to verify that the brain is getting good power and
ground. On your '71 the easiest way to do this is to just turn the
key ON and then go to the engine and push the throttle down. You
should hear a series of clicks (from the injectors) every time you
push the throttle down.

If you hear these clicks, then the brain is getting power and ground.

If you don't hear the clicks there are a number of possible causes,
but let us know what you find to this point.

> At times I am ready to throw in the towel, but I am bound determined
> not to let this baby get me down.  For the moment I am going to assume
> my fuel pump relay is good and will keep reading while I wait to hear
> from you all as to what my next step should be.

If you hear the clicks, you could also try shorting that wire to make
the pump run while you try to start the car. It MIGHT actually start.
To improve your chances, run the pump for 20 seconds before you try
the starter, just to fill all the lines with gas and get all the air
out. If the pump is actually pumping, you should be able to hear air
bubbling up in the gas tank as it gets forced out of the lines and
returned to the tank.

You're doing fine and getting close. These are all encouraging signs.