RE: [T3] Low Voltage

On 16 Jun 2005 at 7:14, Mark Davis wrote:

> So that means it isn't a matter of the cold start alone, but most likely the
> time the injector is on.

That's correct, and for 2 reasons. The problem occurs even in cars without the
CSV, and, for those cars which have the CSV, the CSV is wired in such a way
that low voltage could only reduce the amount of time that the valve is open
(although my guess is that the parts were designed carefully enough that there
is actually NO effect at all.)

> This will now bother me until I get a schematic and figure out
> how it works. Anybody know if one is available anywhere?

I think there is one out there for a D-Jet 914, but the only type 3 one I've
ever seen was at the UW Engineering Expo circa 1970, when this was State of the
Art stuff. Someone there had worked out one by hand from an early brain. This
was at a time when Xerox machines were scarce and I never managed to get a
copy.

Around that same time, someone had written a book with schematics in it which
was scheduled to be published, and I had a copy on order thru JC Whitney. After
about 6 months Whitney cancelled the order, and the story I heard was that
Bosch had sued to prevent publication of their proprietary material. I don't
know if this is actually true, but, to the best of my knowledge, no one has
ever published any of these schemantics other than the 914 one above.

With your background, this just might be a good project for you.

> From physically looking at the electronics I would say there is probably a
> differential circuit that cuts on/off based on the difference in voltage at
> some point in the circuit.

I suspect that it's more subtle than that. I expect that we'd find that one of
the circuits just experiences a change of bias as the supply voltage changes,
and that this results in several effects, including this one.

I'm guessing that there's a timing cap in there somewhere that is expected to
charge up to a trip point and that the charging time determines the injector ON
time. With a reduced system voltage, the charging time would be lengthened and
the injectors would stay on longer. But that's just a guess.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org