Re: [T3] Maxi Sumps in VWT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> Some of the other comments I have been seeing on this thread made me
> think that they were talking about the pump/filter bases that install as
one
> piece and seem to provide a rather simple & clean full flow filter
installation.
> These also have a major drawback in that they place the filter right in
the
> middle of the HOT AIR as it leaves the engine. For an engine that uses an
oil
> cooler to help keep the oil temp down, this is a really bad thing to do.

I'd agree with you in principle, but VW use this very system on the new
Mexican-built Beetles. They also use a catalytic converter, which runs
hotter than a normal exhaust system. It'd be interesting to find out what
effect these changes have on the oil-temp. I always felt it was a shame that
we couldn't install a system like this on our cars, due to the fan housing.

I'd certainly agree that the maxi-filter is a dodgy idea......

</x-charset>