Re: [T3] Factory air.

On 21 Feb 2001, at 23:03, Ralph wrote:

> I have to remove the belt in winter because I think the
> compressor still robs power even when shut off.  ??

There is an electrically operated clutch on the input shaft of the
compressor. Although the pulley spins all the time, the compressor
should be running only when called for.

The possibility remains that there is something wrong with your
system and the clutch is engaged all the time. If you can feel the
compressor kick in and out when the A/C is running (you should
feel the idle speed change) then this is a certain sign that the
system is working properly and there is no real need to remove the
belt in the winter.

If you take a look at the edges of the holes where the belt passes
thru the pulley housing, I think you will see that these edges are
cut somewhat roughly and were not painted after cutting. This
would be what I would consider signs of a "non-factory" installation.
The fact that these hole are "small" needs to be considered along
with the fact that they are right above the exhaust system and the
fact that there is a considerable amount of vacuum in that housing
when the engine is running at speed.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org