Re: [T3] M-Options

John Jaranson,

Thank you very much for your informative and useful information on pressing and
stamping for car bodies.  This really explains a lot about why, for example,
Beetles fully manufactured in Australia and Brazil retained the small windows
years after production in Germany had changed to bigger windows from August 1964
for the1965 models.  Australian Beetles retained the small windows until full
manufacture ceased in September 1968 and Brazilian Beetles retained the small
windows until full manufacture there ceased as late as July 1996!  Clearly, it
was economical to keep those dies going as long as possible where production
volumes were not as great as in Germany.

Yet, I would love to know the full story as to why VW produced different dies
for their Brazilian Type 3 range compared to the German ones.  I would have
thought that for reasons of economy they would have been the same.  I have a
suspicion that the Brazilian-shaped Type 3 bodies were planned for a mid-model
face lift in Germany either for the1968 or 1969 model years and that something
made the factory delay the face-lift until the 1970 model year with the
introduction of the longnose Type 3 vehicles.  Then, rather than discard
expensive dies, those made for the aborted1968-1969 facelift were shipped off to
Brazil for use there.  One reason for this hunch of mine is that initially all
the tools and dies made up in Germany for use in Type 3 production in Brazil
were actually lost in a shipwreck in the Bay of Biscay on their way to Brazil
and to this day lie at the bottom of the Atlantic.  VW in Germany then had to
quickly send replacement dies out to Brazil and it was those replacement dies
which were used in Brazil to manufacture a car which looks so similar to the
EA97 prototype which is on display in the VW Museum at Wolfsburg.  What shape
those dies lost in the shipwreck were only the people at VW in Wolfsburg and Sao
Bernado do Campo will know.  Does anyone out there on the Type 3 list know more?

Thank you, John Jaranson, anyway.

Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia.