[T3] Choke problems

After having a preliminary look at my Notchback's engine last night to cure
its poor health, I came across the following signs and I'm hoping somebody
on the list can help me tell if I have a non-functioning choke.
The car (1969? 1500 single Solex carb) currently experiences 'flooding'
tyw;_ems - I need to keep the revs high to go anywhere, the car
continually tries to stall and fuel consumption is very high. On looking
last night, the spark plugs are very sooty (all 4). The fuel flows
perfectly and the car starts first time. The choke 'clicks' when the
ignition comes on and shows 12 volts but I thought I'd see some movement
and temperature change in the automatic choke as it warmed up. Is this the
case? Is there a way of checking if the choke has failed?

Thanks very much.

Charlie