Re: [T3] Pressure in water bottle.....

On 3 Mar 99, at 23:59, Dave Hall wrote:

> Per, if you want the full info on 4-pot (4 pistons per caliper) bleeding
> etc, I'll send you a .gif of the technical pages.
> BTW, the small pads are also used on all pre-72 Type 3s with discs and
> non-US 1500 and 1600 Beetles, as well as all(?) disc braked T1 Ghias.  The
> 411 type (larger) are needed for the 72-on with normal brakes (not M594,
> with strengthened braking system).

T1 Ghias originally came with unique calipers that used only 1
retaining pin, but the replacement calipers are the same as the early
t3s, using the early t3 pad, but they have only a 40mm piston.

> I've just checked the parts book; the 4-pot calipers do use the early pads!
> The only difference in the kit is a Type 2 retaining pin.  The pistons must
> be small if 2 of them have got room to push on the early pads.

I was going to just take your word for it, but it just seemed too
wierd to be true. Look again, I think your eye wandered off one line.
If I look at the description of the pad kits, I can see that the M594
kit includes the T2 pin and a special T3 spreader spring, but my
microfilm does not show any # for the pads. So I cannot tell what pad
size is used. This Mod was not sold here, so none of my other parts
catalogs are any help.

Didn't we have a thread last year that included this piston diameter.
I've never seen one of these M594 systems. Part of me is grateful and
part is curious.

Jim