Re: [T3] Oil pressure relief springs

On 30 Jun 99, at 22:51, Per Lindgren wrote:

> scott a keck wrote:
>
> > >I stretched the springs to make them stiffer (yes it works)
> >
> > Um, I thought that the springs would have to be shimmed to make them
> > "stiffer"...  Stretching the spring would just weaken it at the specific
> > coils that were stretched.
>
> The spring would be weakened if it would be pushed and pulled continously.
> Just by stretching them increases the pre-load, it takes more effort to put
> them back in place, thus they are stiffer.

Stretching them changes the force they exert at a given compressed
length, but it is possible that they get completely compressed at
startup in cold weather, thus undoing any change you may have put in.
The spring constant, however, i‹à4ged by doing this so it is not
stiffer in terms of lbs/inch (or whatever units you prefer.)

The Bentley manual gives lengths for all these springs, but I have
always found that mine tend to be a bit shorter. My impression is
that they change rather quickly once installed and run, but that they
never change any more afterwards.

I also tried spring "upgrade" kits long ago and couldn't see any
difference. I have just gone back to my old OE springs and stopped
worrying about it.

These springs all work at well below their fatigue limit and should
not change with time, except for the possible exception of the
inelastic change possible when first used.

Berg has some info on this in his writeup on oil & lubrication, but
in my opinion it is not as good as most of his other work.

Jim