Re: [T3] urgent door prhÔN -Reply-To: <19990630014921.ZART1417@keith-park>

At 09:38 PM 6/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Lets see...ahhh.. NO.  while the hole distances are the same for the 2
>inside holes the early doors had the holes threaded and the screw screwed
>into the hinge (actually allan head bolt) and the late doors had a tapered
>hole in the hinge and the screws screwed into a trapped plate on the door
>post.

Are you sure about this?  I remember taking the hinges off of my '65
Squareback doors and, yes, they were allen head bolts.  However, they
screwed into the metal plates inside the door pillars.  The holes in the
hinges were actually clearance holes only.  I think the only difference
would be that the newer style hinges have beveled holes to accept a
flathead screw, thus aiding in "centering" the hinge when one tightened the
screws.

It would seem to me that one could either fill in the three hinge holes on
the old replacement door, drill two new holes that closely match the bolt
pattern on the new style door pillar and then attach the old style door to
the new style hinge.

A little bit of work, but it would maintain the old look of a '67 Square.

John