RE: [T3] "Drilling into metal" question

Thanks to everyone who responded.  Because of the piece of rod I was
drilling I had to use a 90-degree adapter.  This allowed me to get a
slightly better view of the drill vs. work to make sure the bit was
perpendicular to the work.  I did have the rod in a vise and I even ground
flat the section I was drilling to make it easier to start penetration.  I
used some 20w engine oil, medium drill speed (my gut feeling said faster
would be better than slower with the small bit, glad I listened),
light-to-medium pressure (what?, you haven't seen that measurement on a
torque wrench before? ;), and would just oil, drill several seconds, wipe
all parts, re-oil, and repeat.

I know the cutting angles are important so I wouldn't try to sharpen them
myself...I'm not that bored :)  It's easier and faster to just buy a new
one.

So I now have my Mesa oil cooler installed in the Squareback.  Oil lines and
electrical are next, but the hard part is done.  Man oh man, I can't believe
how much time it took me to measure, test fit, measure, test fit, etc. -
that was the big time sink - until I finally got it in.  But now it fits
great, totally clears the starter AND the flexible hose between the heat
exchanger and body, so if later on I want to re-install my heat exchangers I
can without worry.

Of course, I doubt I'll be doing that since I *just* received my ceramic
coated 1.5" collector exhaust <Dr. Evil laughter in the background>...

   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/