Re: [T3] Front/Rear Main Seal Leakage?

You're talking about the front seal, right? The flywheel seal. Yes it's a
pain, but no you don't have to splitIK*e.

Probably the most difficult part of this job is removing and installing the
flywheel, if you've never done this before. You need to bolt a bar to the
flywheel to hold it steady, then use a large breaker bar and socket to
remove the flywheel gland nut.

Once the flywheel's off, gently pry the old seal out with a screwdriver. Tap
the new seal in place with a rubber mallet flush with the case. Take the old
seal, turn it around and place it on top of the new one... tap on the old
seal with mallet to push the new seal in as far as it will go.

Check behind your flywheel where it mates with the crankshaft... if you have
an O-ring, replace it... if you have a paper or metal gasket between the
flywheel and crankshaft replace it accordingly... don't switch a paper
gasket where there was metal one or vice versa as it will adversely affect
your crankshaft thrust clearance.

Check the surface of your flywheel where it contacts the seal. If you see
it's rough, you can work it smooth with 300 grit and progressively finer
sandpaper finishing it off with 600 grit.

Nathan Jacobsen
'62 NB
'69 SB M/T
ICQ #38633286