[T3] Black Again product review

A while back I bought some black restorers for my 914.  One was in an
applicator
bottle that was very similar to liquid shoe polish ones with the sponge tip.
Couldn't get an even application and it left streaks if you didn't follow
the
directions to the letter!

Bought another restorer, Black Again.  Simple white bottle with black
letters
(looks pretty generic).  It has a smell like artificial banana.  ItƯ”]pretty well so I tried it on my Jetta's outside mirror housings and door
handles
-- wow!  It's similar to a liquid auto wax in that you rub it into the
surface
then buff it off.  The directions state that it becomes activated in UV
light
(uh, that'd be the sun).

So, I tried it on my plastic tunnel tray.  It was very dirty from wasting
away
in a junk yard.  Soap and water, as well as bug and tar remover, were just
not
removing the brownish-gray dirt in the corners.  On the first application it
cleaned the dirt and some of the adhesive left over from removing the tray
liner.  The tray was now a glossy/satin black and clean -- much better
looking
than the dull black/gray that I found it in.  I put a second coat on it the
following night for good measure but it really didn't need it.  If it
weren't
for the spotty UV fading already present on the tray it would look new.

It's called "Black Again" and I found it in a general auto parts store (G.I.
Joes here on the west coast).  It does a great job at cleaning, protecting
and
restoring the black on plastic and I sure recommend it.  It does contain
petroleum distillates (for cleaning I'm assuming) and the directions state
it
works on rubber and vinyl as well.  For you chemical engineering gurus,
would it
be okay to use the stuff on the dash and interior body panels?

   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/