Re: [T3] Emergency Brake

On 16 Jun 99, at 14:26, Stan Schaefer wrote:

> That's the reason I rented a drum puller, you aren't supposed to
> hammer on anything with precision bearings in it, otherwise they
> suddenly become non-precision(scrap).  A $10 rental beats $$$ for
> parts and hours of additional labor.
>
> On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:33:09 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >I would just add from experience a problem that may occur if you choose
> >to remove the large hub nut instead of the retaining bolts.  I used a
> >torch as well as a serious amount of slap hammer action to break the
> >hub/drum free.  Not so long thereafter a noticeable leak developed from
> >the rear axle seal and one project then became two.

I agree with Stan that beating on this is the WRONG thing to do, but
a drum puller will often bend the face of the drum and ruin it. After
many years of trying several methods, I have finally settled on the
heat method that I detailed a couple of days ago. It works every time
without pain or damage to any of the parts.

Jim