[T3] Deathrich RIP

I too, have a sad tale to tell.  Last Tuesday afternoon, I took the Square
on a <relatively> high-speed run to the ER (friend in a motorcycle
accident).  Started fine, but almost immediately started to miss, and by the
time I got to my friend's house after the debacle, it was obvious that there
was a serious problem.  Bad stumble; no power; removal of #3 sparkplug wire
made no difference in the idle condition.  Getting fuel, getting spark.
I've burned #3.  Heavy sigh.

Lamentably, I don't have the cash to do a full engine, so I go the cheap
route with new Brazo heads, and pistons/jugs from the FLAPS.  It all comes
apart relatively well, and everything is fairly predictable during the
surgery; sure enough, there's a monumental crack between the valves on #3
<ouch>.

So, yadda, yadda; I clean everything down, torque correctly (to Bentley),
and replace the engine.

The news?  Runs somewhat better, but still has a bad stumble <miss>, and no
power.  While adjusting the valves, i.Ü&^arent that the rocker on #4
exhaust valve can't be backed off far enough to relieve tension on the valve
itself.  Meaning; even if I back the screw adjuster *all the way out*, I
can't get .006" of play (really, I can't get any at all, the end of the
rocker is touching the valve).

So, my learned colleagues; what is wrong?  What have I done (other than not
rebuilding the whole motor, I know that's a no-no)?