RE: [T3] Flaps and ducts

The main concern here is rust.  At the very least you should clean the area
and put a rust inhibitor on it.  Good inhibitor/rust conversion paints are
Corroless and POR-15.

If you are at a stop and there's a strong side wind or tail wind you may
have engine fumes enter in the holes.  But since the air is used for cooling
and induction it won't hurt anything.
   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/